Capercaillier – Mountain
Capercaillie (tetrao urogallus): the male is called cock, the female is called the hen; also known as the wood grouse, heather cock, or just capercaillie, is the largest member of the grouse family. Cocks typically range from 74 to 85 cm in length with wingspan of 90 to 125 cm and an average weight of 4.1 kg. The largest wild cocks can attain a length of 100 cm and weight of 6.7 kg. The weight of 75 wild cocks was found to range from 3.6 to 5.05 kg. The body feathers are dark grey to dark brown, while the breast feathers are dark metallic green. The belly and undertail coverts vary from black to white.
The hen is much smaller, weighing about half as much as the cock. The capercaillie hen’s body from beak to tail is approximately 54–64 cm long, the wingspan is 70 cm and weighs 1.5–2.5 kg, with an average of 1.8 kg. Feathers on the upper parts are brown with black and silver barring, on the underside they are more light and buffish yellow. The breeding season of the carpathian capercaillie starts according to spring weather progress, vegetation development and altitude between March and April and lasts until May or June.
Hunters come here from around the world to experience hunting capercaillie as big game. Capercaillie are living in the spruce, fir-trees forests and also in the mixed coniferous and broadleaf forests, at altitudes over 1100 meters on Carpathian mountains. Getting close to the Capercaillie cock during its mating display is the charm of this hunting. AHSFT (Association of Hunters and Sports Fishermen Tomis) provides many opportunities for meeting capercaillie close up, as well as hunting and shooting, so you can return home with great experiences in nature, hunting stories and delicious meat.
Period of Hunting
- CLOSED FOR THE MOMENT
Package off the hunting Capercaillie is 1100 Euro
The price includes:
- 3 days guided hunting
- 4 nights accommodation with full board Romanian Hunting License
- Dinner the first night
- Assistance throughout the hunting
- Planning a hunting ground
- Dogs for to recover the hunted pieces
- Return transfers between the airport and the hunting district
- All transport in the hunting district
The price does not include:
- Recording in full hd video and pictures of the hunts (extra costs)
- Drinks, gratuities and everything else not mentioned under “the price includes”
The following list of items is what AHSFT (Association of Hunters and Sports Fishermen Tomis) considers to be a necessity to enjoy a capercaillie hunt in Romania to the fullest, and we suggest not leaving home without them.
Medication / Toiletries:
- First aid kit, personal medication
- Painkillers / aspirin
- Dextrose (eg dextroamphetamine Energen) / multivitamin-mineral
- Wound Creme (eg Bepanthen) wound disinfectant ointment (eg Betaisadona) for minor injuries
- Toiletries / paper handkerchiefs / Hakle Feucht
- Caliber(22-250; 243; 6,5×55; 270wm) / ammunition(norma orix, vulkan) blaser cdp, cdc) rws uni classic, brenneke tog, sako hammerhead / lockable gun case / riflescope 8×56; 2x12x50; 2,5x15x56; 3x12x56
- Tripod , bipod
- Hunting knife max. 14 cm blade length
- Backpack special for mountain
- Spotting scope / binoculars professional
- Flashlight and headlamp
- Travel Alarm Clock
- Charging for Batteries
- Sunglasses for shining days
- Breathable, lightweight clothing (best Sympatex / Goretex)
- Lightweight Loden jacket / windbreaker
- 2 light but tight pants
- Light sweater
- Spare clothes (underwear)
- Belts / Braces
- Handkerchiefs / towels
- Very good, well broken in heavy mountain shoes (no sneakers) with silent sole
- Socks / Tights / Spats
Hunting chamois in the wild Carpathian Mountains of Romania for best lifetime hunt experience. Hunt chamois by stalking, this type of hunting...
5 DAYS HUNTING STAY
With almost 70% of the total population of the brown bear of Europe, Romania is without doubt European Capital of Brown Bear you can hunt ...
5 DAYS HUNTING STAY
We have many wild hunting area for red stag in Romania, in the lowland forests, hills and Carpathian Mountains of Romania. Hunting Red Stag ...
5 DAYS HUNTING STAY
Roebuck hunting in Carpathian Mountains of Romania has become a wonderful tradition among rifle hunters. The season of hunting starts ...